Monday, August 29, 2011

SEO and AdWords tips

Last week I received the question via Facebook:
"Any referrals or tips on Google AdWords management and SEO???"


And that got me to thinking... I should write up a clear list of resources for this instead of my ongoing notes. So here it is!

- SEO resources
Let me warn you that I am a bit old school where I feel keywords and descriptions in the code are still important. And then using a healthy does of these in your content on the site. Mix that up with a good use of title tags, alt tags and headlines. This is a good base for your site's SEO.

And then, depending on your industry, try a few tips mentioned here:
webdesign.about.com/od/seo/a/seo_basics.htm
google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35291
businessinsider.com/10-basic-seo-tips-everyone-should-know-2010-1
styleguide.yahoo.com/resources/optimize-search-engines/seo-basics
searchengineguide.com/jim-hedger/seo-101-basic.php
searchenginewatch.com
googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/01/google-seo-resources-for-beginners.html

Personally, I am not a big fan of places that claim you can be on top or that it is "easy" to maintain a higher listing in the searches. It is work. Plain and simple. Be consistent. You can do it! Just make sure you get started and have a plan.

NOTE: In case you have no idea what I am talking about regarding SEO, thanks to wikipedia here is a quick look: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization


- Google Adwords resources

We have heard the good and the bad with using Google Adwords. And honestly not many of our clients use this Google service. So my experience is more limited, but I do read and network with other web heads alot!

Some resources:
adwords.blogspot.com
adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=21904&guide=21899&page=guide.cs
seoptimise.com/blog/2008/09/top-10-resources-to-pass-the-google-adwords-exam-in-a-week.html
marketinghackz.com/a-beginners-guide-to-achieving-success-on-google-adwords
webmasterworld.com/forum81/2839.htm
squidoo.com/google-adwords-tips-and-tricks

And if you are new to all this, let me suggest my favorite line of books - The Dummies series. They offer a quick read, easy to follow guide of whatever it is you are curious about. Google Adwords via the Dummies books: dummies.com/how-to/content/free-google-adwords-resources0.html

Keep your questions coming by clicking "Like" on Facebook!
THANKS!